Click here to see our route map through Mexico in more detail.
Thinking of visiting Mexico? Check out part 1 of our 7 week backpacking itinerary below. We had a absolute blast and I would highly recommend travelling to this vibrant country full of culture, friendly people and great food.
Part 1. Mexico City Highlights
Mexico city is an enormous place with a population of over 20 million! If you want to explore this place properly then I would recommend staying at least 1 week. We aren't big city fans so we stayed for only 4 nights and therefore missed out on seeing a lot of attractions.
- Take ‘free’ guided walking tour of the city. Kick off your visit to Mexico City with a free walking tour. We went with Mexico City Walking Tours and I would highly recommend this tour. Our guide Paco was very entertaining and will give you some useful tips for other things to do and see in the city. The tour is free but you are expected to tip the guide at the end, we gave 200 pesos for the two of us (AU$14 approx).
- Visit the Museo De Anthropologica. Make sure you give yourself plenty of time, this place is huge. A lot of exhibits are in Spanish, so you might want to consider hiring a guide if you’re Spanish is on the beginner side.
- Eat, drink and stay in vibrant and lively Condeza. A very safe suburb with many bars and restaurants. Grab a cheap margarita and see where the night takes you.
- Visit the Frida Kahlo Museum. If you’re feeling game, take a very cheap subway ride to the Coyocan and then a short walk to the museum. Unless you fancy being jammed into the train, I would recommend avoiding the subway during business rush hours.
- Try the street Tacos, you won't regret it! Tip: If there’s a line up then it’s likely to be good and probably worth the short wait.
Phoebe at the Frida Kahlo Museum
Mexico City Architecture
Travelling Companions! Our Luxe Traveller - Turkish Towels
Turkish Towel SALE now on. Buy any 3 Turkish Towels from our collection and only pay for 2. Use coupon code 3FOR2 at the checkout. For a limited time only! Visit our collections here.
Sandy Cove Trading Co Team